Fish On

Fish On

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bluefish in Southie

     I spend half the week in Dorchester during the school year and I often miss fishing while I am in the city.  I am fortunate enough to be able to fish every day while school is not in session, and even found a way to get paid to do it.  I have heard of guys catching bass and blues in Boston harbor but have never seen anyone doing it, assuming these guys were fishing from boats, not from the beaches or docks.  While living in Harbor Point between 2008-2010, I often saw people fishing along the Harbor Walk, but never saw guys landing fish.  Yesterday however, I accidentally found the fish.
     While walking around Castle Island last night, I saw about a dozen guys fishing off the pier behind Sully's.  To my surprise, they were getting tight left and right.  I dragged my girlfriend over to them and excitedly watched them land good-sized bluefish.  There was a large group of Vietnamese guys fishing together, and they already had half a dozen fish between them, and the bite was far from over, and it was only 3 o'clock.  Everyone was there was using chunks of herring or mackerel, and casting it out as far as they could and letting it sit on the bottom.  It was only a few minutes before someone would get tight, and everyone else would reel in so they didn't get tangled.  The pier is probably fifteen feet high so they had long nets to haul their catch up.  
     The bluefish will most likely continue to be there and bite for at least another few weeks.  I am definitely going to bring a few rods and some bait back to Dorchester with me next time I go home.  I hope to have some pictures of Southie bluefish up here within the next week.  

2 comments:

  1. Wait, seriously? I never knew you could go fishing around here, so it is definitely not just you. I'll have to let my Dad know because he'd love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's actually a few places up towards the Sugarbowl where people like to fish. There are these two bridges that let water in and out, people commonly fish off there. Or off the Sugarbowl itself.

    Fun blog, good read.

    ReplyDelete