Fish On

Fish On

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Saw this on Yahoo and thought it was worthwhile to share.


Helpful Banking Tips For 20-Somethings






    I remember receiving my first paycheck postcollege – along with my first checking account fee. While you're a student, many banks will prompt you to sign up with a free checking account, but things change when you graduate. I was startled and annoyed at this fee, but little did I know the few years preceding college, I would rack up several others. Here are five important things you should be aware of when banking in your 20s.


    • Know the fees associated with your account. Ask what types of fees to expect and how you can avoid them. They creep up, and your bank might not prepare you for new fees either. For instance, large banks like Bank of America are instating monthly fees for debit card usage. While charges are between $3-$5, it's still a pretty significant fee for debit card users.
    • Your purchasing habits are stored. In the ever-connected modern day world, purchases made by debit and credit cards are stored and analyzed. This might not mean a whole lot to you in terms of your debit card usage, but companies could use the data to determine your interest rates for credit cards. Keep that in mind if you tend to make not-so responsible choices like purchasing huge items spontaneously or blowing your paycheck in a 24-hour period. Otherwise, opt to make more cash purchases.

    1 comment:

    1. My money is in a credit union. I took it out of BOFA after getting whacked with unfair and undisclosed fees and never looked back. I can almost always find a free ATM.
      Recently I got a letter that BOFA is getting sued and I'm represented. Hooray!

      ReplyDelete